The use of any of the components of Brahmi are subjected to GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE. If you use it in any of your projects we would be pleased to hear from you. If your project is commercial, please ask. We promise you will not be disappointed! :-)
- Latest stable release requries Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.5.x or newer.
- Previous stable release requries Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.4.x only. It will not run with any other versions of Java. Click here to go to downloads page of previous Brahmi release.
If you are in a hurry, just download and run the latest Brahmi.jar. It automatically detects the missing resources and installs them on to your computer (assuming you have priveleges to install fonts and input methods into ther requrired locations).
For those who want to use Input Methods and Fonts separately:
To install Brahmi here are few simple steps one needs to follow. These components can be downloaded from the links given below.
- Download BrahmiKannadaIM.jar - This is the Input Method. Include this jar file in your project classpath when you run your Java Applets and Applications.
- Download and install Kannada OpenType Fonts Mallige and Kedage - These are the OpenType fonts for Kannada.To use one of these fonts as default Kannada font on your JRE (1.5.x or newer), copy the font of your choice into [JAVA_HOME]/jre/lib/fonts/fallback directory. You might have to create the fallback directory if it does not already exist.
- To make all of these fonts available to your Microsoft Windows XP (or newer) operating system, copy them to Windows font directory which is usually %WINDIR%\Fonts. Alternatively, you can access the Fonts folder via Windows Control Panel -> Fonts and drag-n-drop the fonts into this Fonts Window.
- Most flavors of Linux including Ubuntu come pre-loaded with Mallige and Kedage fonts. If you manage to mess it up, you can easily reinstall them again using your platform's package manager. If your Linux platform does not come pre-loaded with Brahmi Kannada fonts, please see the FAQ “How to install Brahmi Kannada fonts on a Linux system?”. The same procedure will hold good for Apple Mac OS X (which is BSD based), Sun Solaris.
If you don't understand or care about what is written above but interested in trying out Brahmi, just download and run the Brahmi.jar application. It automatically detects the missing resources and installs them on to your computer (assuming you have priveleges to install fonts and input methods into ther requrired locations).
Feedback and Suggestions:
Please send your comments and suggestions to:
- Harsha Ravnikar <harsha_pr (at) users.sourceforge.net>
- Ramachandrula Sastry <rsastry (at) users.sourceforge.net>
We welcome your feedback and suggestions. The best of them will be incorporated in future releases and listed on the homepage. We look forward to your co-operation - Brahmi Team.
|Brahmi Input Method||Brahmi Input Method for Kannada BrahmiKannadaIM.jar|
|Open Type Fonts||Open type font for Kannada Mallige.ttf and Kedage.ttf|
|Brahmi Word Processor (Contains all the required resources)||Brahmi.jar for JRE 1.5.x.|
Download Source Code
|Brahmi Input Method for Kannada||BrahmiKannadaIM-R1.zip|
|Brahmi Word Processor||brahmi-wp-beta4.zip - for JRE 1.5.x and newer.|